Tuesday, June 2, 2009

GraduationTime

I am a pathetic blogger. I set up this blog months ago and this is my first post. Since no one will read it (anytime soon) I'm not sure why I'm doing this, but it seems semi-important to me at the moment.

My baby (read 'daughter of 18') is graduating Saturday. I'm not completely sure how I feel about this, but I'm mostly proud and relieved. She will be one of the valedictorians of her class and is at least as smart as either of her parents, and more motivated and more interesting than I was at her age. She has become very independent, which is a two-edged sword. It means that she has a good chance at being successful at whatever she chooses to do, but it also means that she doesn't really need me anymore. It also means that she will be off doing who knows what with who knows who, who knows where. I just have to learn to let go. I'm doing a pretty good job of it, but it still bugs me at times. I guess if it didn't I wouldn't be a good parent.

The prospect of an 'empty nest' is an interesting one. Will it become a boring and repetitive life without children in the house, or will it give us the freedom to do things that we couldn't with children here? I guess it depends on us and the choices we make (seems pretty obvious).

The temptation to sit in front of the TV or the computer and waste time is a problem for me. Each has it's place, but it's easy to overdo. I've had days where I have done nothing but watch TV and either play computer games or just mindlessly surf the internet. Sometimes I think that technology is a bad thing. Problem is, I wouldn't be willing to give it up. It has too many benefits. I just need to have the will power to limit my use. I usually do a pretty good job on mindless TV--I refuse to watch "reality" shows. If there is a bigger waste of time and brain cells, I don't know what it is. I do love good comedy, good movies and simple, addictive computer games. Are you familiar with Zuma? I've scored over 3 million on that one! (The Zuma nerd crowd goes wild!)

TTFN (random reference)

No comments: