Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What is Fair?

Just a thought... When someone says "that's not fair", what do they really mean? Generally my experience has been that when adolescents say it, they really mean "I'm not getting what I want!"

But what is fair? I was once told that 'fair' was what was needed by each individual for their situation. This would be the philosophy behind welfare and such. Some would argue it is the philosophy behind true communism (which has never existed for any length of time). Some would argue it's what is attainable within the existing laws and morals of one's society. It's "fair" that an athlete can make $20 million a year playing a glorified game within a free market system. It seems wrong to me, but then again, I'm not the one making $20 million a year :-)

Bored ramblings of a tired teacher in need of a vacation.

No comments: